Job Title: Program Associate
FLSA Status: Exempt
KARAMAH is seeking a highly motivated Program Associate as main support staff for our four main divisions: Islamic Law, Family Law, Civil Rights Law and Law and Leadership. These growing divisions conduct programs domestically and internationally about human rights particularly those of Muslim women. The successful candidate will be smart, self-motivated, detail oriented and professional. S/he will have the ability to work as a team member in collegial workplace where well-thought out opinions are expected and encouraged. Applicants must be able to work in a fast-paced office while maintaining a high level of quality and detail.
• Plan, coordinate, and implement KARAMAH’s annual Law and Leadership Summer Program
• Work closely with the Directors/Associate Directors of the main divisions at KARAMAH
• Serve as an interagency liaison for each of the three main divisions
• Review and plan curriculums, budgets, and monitoring methods for current and pending programs;
• Coordinate and arrange logistics for national and international programs;
• Add to the emerging American and global reputation of the organization;
• Maintain current knowledge of organizational policies and procedures;
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies;
• Work closely with other team members in support of KARAMAH’s overall priorities;
• Prepare and present grants;
• Maintain and cultivate KARAMAH networks and contacts
• Some administrative duties related to the above responsibilities (database management, newsletter development, award notification letters, data compilation and analysis, general correspondence).
• BA/BS degree in International Affairs, Human Rights, Islamic Studies, Arabic or related field with high academic achievement;
• Knowledge of Arabic and English (reading, writing and speaking). Knowledge of French is a plus;
• Possession of basic computer skills and knowledge of MS Excel, Word, Microsoft Publisher and PowerPoint required;
• 1-3 years of work experience at a non-profit organization
• Strong and diverse experience in international human rights, women’s rights, and/or the Muslim world;
• Ability to clearly and effectively express ideas, thoughts, and concepts, orally and in writing in Arabic and English, using correct grammar and presentation formats
• The ability to incorporate KARAMAH’s mission, vision, and values into daily assignments
• Must have strong attention to detail, be well organized, and have the ability to manage responsibilities independently while working with a small, tight-knit staff.
• General knowledge of Islamic Law and Human Rights law is a plus;
• Willingness to travel;
• Preference given to candidates with previous experiences relevant to KARAMAH’s mission.
Send cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com
Job Title: Communications Associate
Reports To: Executive Director
Karamah is seeking a highly motivated Communications Associate to assist the organization’s Communications Department. The Communications Associate will work closely with and support all departments, as well as the Executive Director. The position would start as part-time, with a weekly commitment of at least 20 hours/week. There is a possibility the position will be extended to full-time.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, detail oriented, and able to quickly adapt and learn new skills. S/he will understand the organization’s goals and be willing to accept a wide range of tasks necessary to the smooth operation of the organization. S/he must also be able to work in a fast-paced office while maintaining a high level of quality and detail.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
Oversee and manage communications and development as it relates to events, marketing of events, managing attendees, attending to media issues, arranging photography/videography, website coverage, and new media.
Write and disseminate press releases, newsletters, and other correspondence to Karamah contacts.
Oversee all web content to ensure that it is well-written, consistent and published in a timely and accurate manner; update online content on a daily basis in conjunction with staff and content contributors.
Manage contributions from Karamah community including jurists, attorneys, alumni, board members, etc., for blogs, online columns, website content, and new media.
Manage relationship with web design firm for updates and hosting company for technical issues (database backups).
Review and edit staff contributions for the Internet and intranet (forum and portals for students and jurists).
Manage social media efforts (including blogs, Twitter, Facebook, Wikipedia, and YouTube).
Interpret web analytics and usability data to inform design decisions.
Manage and track outreach of mailing lists and oversee data entry.
Draft monthly/quarterly newsletter from existing template.
Update brochures, media packets, flyers, donation forms, and signage.
Create content through Microsoft Publisher and online email platforms like Constant Contact.
Edit and add content to the website through WordPress.
Assist in organizational operations (as support staff) when necessary.
English required; Arabic (writing and reading) highly desired.
Experience in communications, website management, marketing, media outreach, database management, event planning, and issue advocacy or grassroots organizing
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Islamic Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, or related field.
Superior written and verbal communication skills
Ability to multi-task, work independently, and in a team environment.
Efficiently respond to questions from networks, staff and members of the community; communicate effectively in both written and oral form.
Knowledge of the principles and techniques of fundraising and grant writing, contract administration and negotiation, community organization, fiscal and organizational management,and principles and practices of marketing and public relations.
Ability to plan, direct and coordinate activities, negotiate and administer contracts, and exhibit independent judgment in the development, procedures and policies.
Cultural knowledge and language capabilities for target populations.