Director of Civil Rights Law
Position Title: Director of Civil Rights Law
Job Status: Full Time
Date of Posting: February 1, 2016
Start Date: Immediate
Reports to: Executive Director
KARAMAH kindly welcomes highly motivated applicants to apply for the position of Director of Civil Rights Law. The position will primarily involve coordinating our annual programs and leading the organization’s Civil Rights Law Department. KARAMAH is a team-oriented office environment, and this position involves working closely with and supporting all of our departments and the Executive Director. KARAMAH addresses human rights particularly those concerning Muslim women, both domestically and internationally, and the Civil Rights Law department coordinates programs targeting issues within both spheres.
· Supervise and implement major international and domestic programming such as civil rights town halls, scholarly convenings, policy forums and educational lectures;
· Coordinate international and domestic program logistics, including venue procurement, agenda creation, audience recruitment, and speaker relations;
· Engage local and national communities and build coalitions throughout the Islamic world with outreach for relevant legal and/or educational programs and events;
Civil/Human Rights Advocacy:
· Maintain current knowledge of new and/or pending relevant committee hearings, legislation, and litigation;
· Speak on Islamic law as it relates to women’s rights, international human rights, and U.S. civil rights law;
· Organize and develop publication editorials such as policy position papers on KARAMAH’s behalf, promoting the human rights and U.S. civil rights of Muslims;
· Communicate KARAMAH’s message through talking points, web content, and press releases;
· Represent KARAMAH at meetings with community leaders, advocates, and high-ranking government officials;
· Maintain and cultivate KARAMAH networks and contacts;
· Help determine KARAMAH’s priorities on present and future policy focus;
· Maintain professional and technical familiarity by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies;
· Work closely with other team members in support of KARAMAH’s overall priorities;
· Assist in organizational administrative responsibilities as necessary.
The ideal candidate will possess all of the following qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree;
· Graduate degree – JD highly preferred, but candidates with other graduate degree(s) will be considered;
· Minimum 1 year removed from law/graduate school
· Demonstrated knowledge of major U.S. civil rights laws and trends, particularly as they relate to profiling, immigration, and school bullying;
· Demonstrated knowledge of international human rights laws and trends, especially as they relate to women’s rights in Europe and Muslim majority nations;
· Capacity to assert KARAMAH’s priorities and personal insight in high-pressure meetings;
· Skilled in creating and carrying out successful programs and campaigns;
· Demonstrated ability to successfully continue an established program/campaign while incorporating personal knowledge and experience;
· Ability to coordinate campaign outreach that results in coalition partners and event attendees;
· Exceptional ability to work on individual tasks as well as on collaborative goals as a member of our team;
· Experience integrating community organizing with policy-oriented advocacy efforts;
· Experience with message development and communicating organizational priorities;
· Excellent writing and editing skills as well as verbal and presentation skills
· Experienced in coordinating and managing event logistics;
· Professional knowledge of Microsoft Publisher, WordPress, Constant Contact, and Adobe Photoshop;
· Ability to design promotional materials for events and programs;
· Local ties to the D.C., VA, and MD area;
· Language Skills: English is required, and Arabic (reading and writing) is highly desired
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, detail-oriented and professional. S/he will have the ability to work as a team member in a collegial workplace where thoughtfully crafted opinions are expected and encouraged. Applicants must be able to work in a fast-paced office while maintaining a high level of quality and detail. KARAMAH seeks candidates who have enthusiasm and passion for human rights advocacy affecting the Muslim diaspora. The position is full-time, with a weekly commitment of at least 40 hours/week.
HOW TO APPLY:
1. Please submit a resume, cover letter, list of three references, a 1-page press release, a 2-3 page unedited writing sample.
2. Please submit each document as a PDF file in one single email to KARAMAH’s managing director, El Batoule Alaoui. Her email is: email@example.com with “Director of Civil Rights Law” in the subject line.
3. Incomplete packets will be disregarded.
4. Applications will be accepted and interviews conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only potential candidates will be contacted. No calls, please.