Job Title: Communications Associate
Reports To: Executive Director
KARAMAH is seeking a highly motivated Communications Associate to assist the organization’s Communications Department. The Communications Associate will work closely with and support all departments, as well as the Executive Director. The position would start as full-time, with a weekly commitment of at least 40 hours/week.
1. An entrepreneurial person who understand the goals of the organizations, and actively ensures the communications division is consistently maintaining those goals.
2. Strong writing skills.
3. Ability to efficiently respond to questions from networks, staff and members of the community; communicate effectively in both written and oral form.
4. Ability to work in a face paced environment, with short deadlines, while maintaining a high level of quality and detail.
5. Ability to work well in a collaborative team environment, work independently, and multi-task.
6. Ability to translate complex thoughts, ideas and concepts into easy to understand information for internal and public dissemination.
7. Cultural knowledge for target populations for communications and generally of the organization.
8. Mature judgment and integrity.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
• Manage a wide range of public relations and marketing activities to promote the organizations mission, projects, and on-going activities;
• Recommend and implement new civic engagement methods, tools and technologies to expand opportunities for the public to participate with the organizations;
• Develop goals, objectives, priorities, deliverables, and schedule for communications activities;
• Create communications plans, promotion plans, and manage social media campaigns (including blogs, Twitter, Facebook, Vimeo, and YouTube).
• Interpret web analytics and usability data to inform design decisions.
• Manage and track outreach of mailing lists and oversee data entry.
• Edit and add content to the website through WordPress.
• Write and disseminate monthly newsletter, press release and other correspondence
• Generate and edit content for a variety of communications channels for external and internal audiences;
• Create compelling visuals that tell a story for communications efforts;
• Update the organizations current promotional materials brochures, media packets, flyers, donation forms, and signage.
• Oversee all web content to ensure that it is well-written, consistent and published in a timely and accurate manner; update online content on a daily basis in conjunction with staff and content contributors.
• Review and edit staff contributions for the Internet and intranet (forum and portals for students and jurists).
• Create content through Microsoft Publisher and online email platforms like Constant Contact.
Media Relations / Events-
• Manage contributions from KARAMAH community including jurists, attorneys, alumni, board members, etc., for blogs, online columns, website content, and new media.
• Manage relationship with web design firm for updates and hosting company for technical issues (database backups).
• Expand media involvement opportunities in local and national settings;
• Cultivate relationships with industry and organization leaders and communicators;
• Align staff with external opportunities for engagement, speaking opportunities and participation;
• Oversee and manage communications and development as it relates to events, marketing of events, managing attendees, attending to media issues, arranging photography/videography, website coverage, and new media.
• Assist in organizational operations (as support staff) when necessary.
• Write and manage certain grant opportunities.
1. Minimum: The follow are the minimum criteria for this position:
a. Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Planning or related field. Degrees related to the field of Islamic Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, or similar will also be taken into consideration.
b. Experience in the communications field that includes at least one year of experience in communications, planning, marketing, journalism, and/or public relations, that has included website management, marketing, media outreach, database management, event planning, and issue advocacy or grassroots organizing.
c. Superior written and verbal communication skills
d. Has experience and knowledge of Photoshop, iMovie and other video editing software, Microsoft Publisher, WordPress, and Constant Contact.
2. Language Skills: English is required, and Arabic (reading and writing) is highly desired.
3. Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may substitute for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
4. Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with the following:
a. Leading public information activities and/or communications activities for a non-profit.
b. Creating content and pitch stories to promote the values of an organization.
c. Creating web strategies, content, and website management.
d. Knowledge of the principles and techniques of fundraising and grant writing.
e. Knowledge of contract administration and negotiation.
f. Experience with community organization and issue advocacy.
g. Local ties to the D.C., VA, and MD area.
How to Apply:
1. Please submit a resume, cover letter, list of three references, a 1 page press release, a 2-3 page unedited writing sample.
2. In your cover letter please include a section that describes your experience with each of the relevant software and platforms listed above (such as Constant Contact, WordPress, Photoshop, etc.)
3. Please submit each document as a PDF file in one single email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Associate Application Packet” in the subject line.
4. Incomplete packets will be disregarded.
5. Applications will be accepted and interviews conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only potential candidates will be contacted. No calls, please.